Copyright © Through a Cracked Lens Photography
PLEASE DO NOT use any of our picturesfor any commercial/non-commercial purposes including but not limited to blogs, manipulation, websites, etc without agreement of and written permission from Through a Cracked Lens Photography. All rights Reserved.

Saturday 7 January 2012

Homemade

One of our most popular and enduring prints from our 2009 run is Homemade.

The idea for this shot came from my mom.  The bottle of Diazinon came from my dad's mother's garage.  After she passed away, I had gone over to her house, with my dad, to clean out some stuff.  While we were in the garage, I found the empty bottle, all dusty and wonderful, and asked my dad if I could keep it.  I am pretty sure he thought I was crazy for wanting an empty bottle of bug poison, but since he had bigger fish to fry at that point, he agreed.

The next day, when my mom saw the bottle on the counter in my kitchen, she was thrilled, since she knew that we were going to start shooting her idea.  She has the very first print hanging proudly in her kitchen.

When I look at this print, it conjures images of June Cleaver (pun intended- thanks to Tracey S for the joke!), and gingham aprons.  I always imagine a warm, breezy summer day, one just perfect for cooling pies on windowsills (if anyone actually does that anymore!)

A mom, dusty with flour, sticky, chocolaty hand prints dotting her apron, humming as she works.  The air smells like cinnamon, and apples.  Through the window, we can hear children laughing as they are playing in the dirt and the sunshine and the dog barks as it chases squirrels and balls with equal fervour. 

She measures her ingredients carefully, following her recipe.  She knows what her husband likes.  She's made this so many times, she could do it in her sleep.  But she's careful.  Oh, so very careful.

She scoops the batter, sticky and warm, and forms his favourite cookies.  The heat from the oven, as she opens the door, washes over her face and pulls the swollen and sensitive skin even tighter.  She slides the cookies in and sets the timer.  Nothing to do now, but wait.  Wait for the cookies to bake, wait for the bruises to heal, wait for her husband to come home.  Because home is where new beginnings are made....
Homemade
5x7 or 8x10
$5.00

Anita & Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment